Deadline nears to have say on school bus cuts

Bicester Advertiser: Deadline nears to have say on  school bus cuts Deadline nears to have say on school bus cuts

MEMBERS of the public have just over a week to have their say on home-to-school transport changes.

Oxfordshire County Council extended the deadline from December 15 to January 14.

It is the second time the council has tried to get the proposals off the ground, with the first consultation shelved last year after it realised planned consultation would not fit the original criteria set by Government.

Under the changes, which the council claims could save £2m, parents will be charged up to £584 a year if they do not send their children to the nearest school.

So far about 1,000 comments have been made as part of the consultation.

The council said longer consultation would give officers more time to look at replies and build up a comprehensive picture.

Council leader Ian Hudspeth said: “From a practical perspective, it gives our officers more time to go through the responses, and present the cabinet with a comprehensive picture of public opinion.

“I have taken part as a panellist at nine public meetings on this issue and there has certainly been lively debate.

“I would now urge anyone who has not yet submitted their views to visit our website.”

Related links

A final decision is due to be made at a special cabinet meeting at a date to be announced.

To have your say on the proposals, visit oxfordshire.gov.uk/ htspconsultation.

To request a paper copy of the consultation documents, call 01865 815175.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree