OXFORD United’s bubble was somewhat burst after suffering a tame defeat at the hands of Wycombe Wanderers.

The positivity that came out from Oxfordshire County Council’s cabinet meeting was dampened as Sam Vokes and Anis Mehmeti scored in the first half to ensure the home side took all three points.

Karl Robinson made just the one change from the side which won 2-1 at home to Ipswich Town, while he reverted back to his favoured 4-3-3 system.

Personnel-wise, the only alteration saw Kyle Joseph come in for Brandon Fleming.

The game began with a frantic energy associated with a derby, and it was United who had the first chance.

Ciaron Brown muscled his way down the left flank with two minutes on the clock, and pulled the ball back to Cameron Brannagan, whose shot was blocked behind for an early corner.

The hosts grew into the game though and somehow were unable to convert from a goalmouth scramble inside the first 10 minutes.

Mehmeti was the danger man though and he demonstrated that for the first time when he took on Djavan Anderson, and shot at Simon Eastwood as he looked to find a favourable angle.

It mattered little though as Mehmeti created the opening goal moments later.

The winger got in down the left and played the ball across the face of the goal, where the unmarked Vokes was on hand to apply the finishing touch from 10 yards out.

Sam Long headed wide from a deep Billy Bodin free kick, before United’s clearest opportunity of the opening 45 minutes came just before the half hour mark.

Lewis Bate collected the ball in midfield and charged forward, finding Bodin on the edge of the area.

United’s No 7 took a touch before sending a low, right-footed effort just wide of Max Stryjek’s post.

Both sides exchanged half chances, with Lewis Wing firing considerably wide from 25 yards and Sam Long getting a head on a Bodin corner, however the contact lacked pace.

Mehmeti doubled the Wanderers advantage when he worked his way down the left and into the penalty box, before curling a sublime effort into the top corner and beyond the stretch of Eastwood.

Mehmeti showed his quality again as the first half came to a close when he stood up a cross for David Wheeler, who headed over the crossbar.

After being given a difficult time by Mehmeti, Anderson was hauled off at the break with Fleming brought on to replace him.

The tweak saw Long shuffle across to right back, Ciaron Brown move into the centre and Fleming operate on the left.

The U’s began the second half on the front foot, with Brannagan firing an effort over the bar and Yanic Wildschut forcing his way into the box, before seeing a near post shot saved by Stryjek.

The home side managed the game superbly though and denied United any opportunities to get at their defence.

At the other end though, Wing scooped an effort over the bar in what was a rare sight of goal in the second period.

Robinson’s side showed some late grit as Tyler Goodrham saw an effort charged down, and following a succession of corners, Brannagan headed over the bar.

However, there was ultimately no end product as United failed to land a blow on the home side.

Wycombe Wanderers (4-4-1-1): Stryjek; McCarthy, Grimmer, Tafazolli, Obita; Hanlan (Thompson 75), Wheeler, Scowen, Mehmeti (De Barr 90); Wing; Vokes (McCleary 80).

Unused subs: Dickinson, Jacobson, Wakely, Freeman.

Booked: Stryjek, Thompson.

Oxford United (4-3-3): Eastwood; Anderson (Fleming 46), Moore, Long, Brown; Bate, McGuane (Taylor 61), Brannagan; Bodin, Joseph (Goodrham 70), Wildschut (O’Donkor 61).

Unused subs: McGinty, Negru, Findlay.

Booked: Anderson.

Referee: Neil Hair (Cambridgeshire)

Attendance: 5,935 (1,481 away)