CHINNOR produced a scintillating first half to record a bonus-point victory over relegation-threatened Leeds Tykes.

The Oxfordshire side crossed five times in the opening 40 minutes, displaying some fine running and counter-attacking rugby, to triumph 36-27.

Tries from Dean Hammond (2), Nick Smith, Kieran Goss and Mark Darlington helped Chinnor into a 33-15 lead at the break.

Tykes refused to give in, though, and outscored their hosts in the second half as they came away with a bonus point which could prove crucial in their fight to stay up.

The visitors had Jerry Bai sent to the sin-bin early on and Chinnor took full advantage of the extra man to go 14-0 up after seven minutes, thanks to scores from Hammond and Smith.

Tighe Maxwell-Whiteley’s penalty got Leeds off the mark, but the hosts were dominant and extended their lead to 21-3 inside a quarter of an hour when Goss dived over, James Bourton converting.

Leeds dug in and Tobi Ademakin plunged across, but the first half was all about Chinnor and Hammond crossed for his second and the bonus-point try on 28 minutes.

Again, Tykes replied as Tom Williams scored under the posts, however the hosts were straight down the other end to make it 33-15 at the break when Darlington went over off the back of a driving maul.

Trystan Lloyd and Harry Jukes crossed for the visitors to reduce the deficit, while Chinnor’s only points after the break came from a Bourton penalty, but their first-half showing had done the job.

Richard Thorpe’s side are eighth in National League 1.

Elsewhere, Henley Hawks suffered a surprise 27-24 defeat at home to National 2 South strugglers Rochford Hundred.

The visitors took a deserved lead when Maciu Nogabi drove over, with Chris Dudman kicking the conversion and then a penalty shortly after.

Cail Cookland crossed in the corner to reduce the deficit and put Hawks 12-10 in front before the break, adding the extras after Alex Bradley’s try.

It looked like Hawks had weathered the storm, only for Rochford to score 17 unanswered points in 15 second-half minutes.

Najee Mundicha and Mark Billings went over, with Dudman adding a penalty and a conversion.

Bradley and George Inoke crossed to add gloss to the score line for Henley, Cookland converting the latter, as they picked up a losing bonus point.

South West 1 East leaders Oxford Quins edged out hosts Beaconsfield 31-24, while Banbury Bulls were awarded the points after visitors Sherborne cancelled their fixture.

Witney beat Frome 31-22, while Grove lost 34-32 at Chippenham.

In Southern Counties North, Bicester overcame Gosford All Blacks 13-3 in their Oxfordshire derby and Wallingford thrashed Thatcham 69-7 on the road.