ALEX Gorrin scored only his second career goal as Oxford United came from behind to draw at high-flying Portsmouth.

The midfielder grabbed the ball after Dan Agyei was fouled in the penalty area with 20 minutes left and made no mistake to open his U's account.

In a re-run of last season’s Sky Bet League One play-off semi-final, centre back Sean Raggett headed the hosts ahead after 19 minutes.

United rode their luck at times in the first half, but a triple substitution on the hour turned the tables and they soon levelled through Gorrin.

The U’s then had to withstand some late pressure, but they held firm to claim a very useful point.

Karl Robinson kept the same back six that started the win at Wigan Athletic on Saturday, but made four changes higher up the pitch.

James Henry dropped back into midfield to partner Anthony Forde, while Sean Clare was given another chance on the right wing.

Mide Shodipo was on the other flank with Dan Agyei leading the line, while Liam Kelly, Marcus McGuane, Jordan Obita and Matty Taylor were rested.

As against Wigan, United started brightly as they looked to utilise the pace of their front three.

Neither side could fashion a chance of note in the opening quarter of an hour, but the hosts took their opportunity when it came.

A free-kick from deep was cleared to Ronan Curtis on the left and the winger dug out a cross that was met by Raggett, who beat Atkinson in the air to give Simon Eastwood no chance.

Pompey began to boss proceedings and should have doubled their lead eight minutes later.

Ellis Harrison scuffed a shot from the right edge of the area and John Marquis did well to anticipate, only to blaze over from eight yards out.

This was swiftly followed by a sequence of corners that saw Jack Whatmough head against the bar for the hosts as United were briefly left hanging on.

The visitors’ only real chance of the half fell to Anthony Forde with five minutes remaining, after Clare’s perfectly-weighted ball released Sam Long, who cut it back to the Irishman.

Forde had time to take a touch, but his shooting boots deserted him and he lifted an effort over the bar.

Two minutes later Elliott Moore was perhaps fortunate as he looked to have brought down Ellis Harrison as last man, but referee Tim Robinson waved play on.

Portsmouth remained in control early in the second half and Clare received a fifth booking of the season for a firm challenge on Curtis, ruling him out of Saturday’s derby against Swindon Town.

Raggett and Marcus Harness spurned half-chances for the hosts, before Robinson sent on Obita, McGuane and Mark Sykes for Forde, Henry and Shodipo.

McGuane almost made an immediate impact as he cut inside and forced Craig MacGillivray into an flying save.

The substitutions gave the U’s some extra impetus and they were soon level from the spot after Agyei drew a foul from Whatmough.

Gorrin was a surprising volunteer for the penalty, but he showed composure to send the goalkeeper the wrong way for only his second career goal.

Robinson sent on Taylor with eight minutes remaining, with Sykes forcing MacGillivray into a save down to his right minutes later.

Curtis had a chance to win it in stoppage time, but the unmarked winger headed straight at Eastwood.

Portsmouth (4-4-2): MacGillivray, Johnson, Whatmough, Raggett, Brown, Harness (Williams 82), Naylor, Cannon (Morris 80), Curtis, Harrison, Marquis Unused subs: Bass, Nicolaisen, Pring, Close, Hiwula.

Booked: Cannon, Raggett.

Oxford United (4-3-3): Eastwood, Long, Moore, Atkinson, Ruffels, Gorrin, Henry (Sykes 62), Forde (McGuane 62), Clare (Mousinho 86), Agyei (Taylor 82), Shodipo (Obita 62).

Unused subs: Stevens, Kelly.

Booked: Clare.

Referee: Tim Robinson (West Sussex)