SIMON Eastwood saved one penalty in normal time and two in the penalty shoot-out as Oxford United overcame AFC Wimbledon in the Carabao Cup first round.

Callum Reilly and Nesta Guinness-Walker saw their spot kicks kept out by United’s No 1, who had denied Anthony Hartigan late in the game.

While James Henry also failed to convert, United netted through Anthony Forde, Marcus McGuane, Matty Taylor and Cameron Brannagan to reach tomorrow’s second round draw.

Skipper Brannagan had put United ahead with a powerful strike, but it was quickly cancelled out when Ryan Longman scrambled home a finish via Taylor at a corner.

Despite Robinson treating the game as an extension of pre-season, he named arguably his strongest starting line-up.

They came flying out of the traps with a real purpose and within three minutes Brannagan had seen a free-kick tipped over the crossbar by Connal Trueman.

Elliott Moore headed over from a corner, while Mark Sykes rattled a powerful shot into Paul Kalambayi’s back inside a hugely promising opening ten minutes.

But gradually Wimbledon, whose 3-5-2 was more like a 5-4-1 out of possession, got organised to become difficult to break down.

They slowly saw more of the ball, although debutant Rob Atkinson impressed to help keep the visitors at arm’s length.

They did though have the clearest chance of the half, on 25 minutes.

A ball to the back post found centre back Terrel Thomas, who brought the ball down like a seasoned striker and fired in a low strike from ten yards which took a superb instinctive save from Simon Eastwood with his right boot.

That was virtually the last time either goalkeeper was exerted before the break, as the tie became evenly-contested.

Eastwood was needed to be at his best again eight minutes after the restart, keeping out Luke O’Neill’s downward header.

Atkinson survived a penalty shout on Joe Pigott, before United broke the deadlock just after the hour.

A half-cleared cross fell to Brannagan, who collected the ball and tried his luck from 20 yards. It was a fierce strike but Trueman will have been disappointed to see the ball nestle in the net after getting a good hand on it.

The U’s midfielder quickly caused the goalkeeper problems again with a swerving shot from 30 yards which hit Trueman on the chest.

But the lead lasted just four minutes, as Wimbledon levelled scruffily from a corner. Longman got the congratulations from the Dons players, but Taylor was eventually credited with an own goal.

It left a quarter of the game for a winner to avoid a penalty shoot-out.

Trueman saved a header from Ruffels, before the Dons had a golden chance to go ahead six minutes from time.

Nesta Guinness-Walker pushed the ball past substitute Anthony Forde and fell over the right back, but Eastwood kept out Hartigan’s spot kick.

That was as close as either side came in the closing stages, which sent the tie to a shoot-out, where United triumphed.

Oxford Utd (4-3-3): Eastwood, Long (Forde 58), Moore, Atkinson, Ruffels, Gorrin (Kelly 58), Brannagan, McGuane, Henry, Taylor, Sykes (Osei 85).

Unused subs: Stevens, Mousinho, Hall, Agyei.

Booked: None.

AFC Wimbledon (3-5-2): Trueman, O’Neill, Thomas, Kalambayi, Alexander, Hartigan, Woodyard, Reilly, Guinness-Walker, Longman (Chislett 71), Pigott Unused subs: Tzanev, Nightingale, Roscrow, McLoughlin, Procter, Osew.

Booked: Hartigan.

Referee: Lee Swabey (Devon).