NEW Oxford City manager David Oldfield was introduced to supporters before watching the 3-1 loss to Chippenham Town.

The former Oxford United player watched his new charges slip to a disappointing defeat in Vanarama National League South to bring to an end Andy Ballard and Justin Merritt’s tenure as interim bosses.

A Josh Ashby penalty cancelled out Scott Twine’s free-kick, but Kieran Parselle gave the visitors a 2-1 lead at half-time.

Twine scored his second goal from a set-piece after the break as City dropped to 13th in the table.

Chippenham arrived as the division’s form side and it showed as they almost went 1-0 up after 15 minutes.

Twine’s cross from the right hand side almost found its way to Luke Haines, but City captain Joe Oastler was in the right place to nick it away.

But the home defence was powerless to prevent the away side’s opener after 19 minutes, Twine getting the ball over the wall and under the crossbar from inside the D.

The hosts began to grow into the game and Kyran Wiltshire almost equalised moments later, only to hit the side netting.

Five minutes later they were presented with a golden opportunity when Kevin Berkoe was tripped inside the area.

Up stepped Ashby, and the midfielder kept his cool to send goalkeeper Will Puddy the wrong way.

It was only five minutes until City were right back to square one, however.

George Rigg whipped in a dangerous corner, which Parselle met with a thumping header.

Nana Owusu came on for Ben Jefford at half-time in a statement of intent from City, while Zac McEachran replaced Elliot Benyon 11 minutes into the half.

Once again, though, they were undone by a Twine free-kick masterclass.

The forward found the top corner from a similar position to his earlier effort to give the hosts a mountain to climb.

City desperately looked for a way back into the game and some good link-up play saw McEachran attempt to take the ball around Puddy, only for the keeper to recover and make a save.

The home side’s final throw of the dice came through the introduction of Craig Fasanmade, on for Wiltshire with 13 minutes remaining.

But Chippenham came closest to another goal, with Twine’s volley seemingly destined for the corner of the net until Craig King got across to make a good save.

The full-time whistle signalled the end of Ballard and Merritt’s spell in charge, with Oldfield taking the reins for next weekend’s visit to Hampton & Richmond Borough.

Oxford City: King, E Jones, Jefford (Owusu HT), Ashby, Oastler, Wiltshire (Fasanmade 77), Fleet, Berkoe, Benyon (McEachran 56), Lofthouse, N Jones. Unused subs: Moore-Azille, George.