BANBURY United goalkeeper Jack Harding saved two penalties in Saturday’s 0-0 draw at home to Hitchin Town.

However, despite his heroics the Puritans were knocked off top spot in the BetVictor Southern League Premier Central after failing to see off their rivals, who were bottom of the table.

After an opening period which was devoid of goalmouth action, the match burst into life on the hour mark.

Charlie Hawtin was penalised for a foul on Leon Okuboyejo in the box, but Harding – making his 200th appearance for Banbury – came to the rescue by saving Jay Dowie’s penalty.

However, the assistant referee then spotted another foul as Banbury cleared their lines, Lee Henderson picking up a second yellow card to leave Mike Ford’s side a man down.

Josh Bickerstaff took the second penalty, but Harding again came up trumps, making a fine save to keep out the initial spot-kick before reacting quickly to pounce on the loose ball.

Both sides had chances to win it late on, John Mills coming the closest for Banbury when his shot his the inside of a post and bounced into the keeper’s arms.

Thame United picked up their first win of the season in Division 1 Central with a 2-1 success at Welwyn Garden City.

Dan West fired the visitors ahead after ten minutes, only for William McClelland to level midway through the half.

Marcus Mealing scored what turned out to be the winner from the penalty spot on the hour mark.

Mark Francis scored twice as Didcot Town came from behind to beat St Neots Town 2-1.

Joe Sutton fired the hosts into an early lead, but Francis levelled two minutes before half-time, tapping home from close range.

He then scored again with ten minutes remaining to seal victory.

Kidlington drew 1-1 at home to Biggleswade Town.

Lawrie Marsh put the visitors ahead on 14 minutes, but the hosts claimed a point when Kaylem Patterson scored inside the opening 60 seconds of the second half.

Basement side Wantage Town were thumped 7-0 at home by leaders Berkhamsted.

The writing was on the wall from an early stage as the visitors raced out of the blocks to lead 4-0 after 22 minutes with Ryan Kinnane (2), Lewis Toomey and Jonathan Lacey on target.

Lacey went on to complete his hat-trick after the break with two more goals, before Stephen Dodd completed the scoring late on.

North Leigh fell to a disappointing 2-0 defeat at home to Bedford Town.

The visitors went ahead just before the break when Callum Milne made a darting run down the wing before firing into the bottom corner past Eddie Cavanagh.

They doubled their lead just after the hour mark when a shot from the edge of the box deflected off the back of Joe Steele’s head and beat the helpless Cavanagh.