OXFORD United’s dreadful record against Fleetwood Town was extended when Peter Clarke headed in the winner 11 minutes from time.

The U’s had been on course for only their third point from 11 meetings with the Cod Army, thanks to Elliott Moore’s first goal for the club.

His thumping header cancelled out Paddy Madden’s opener and sent the sides in level at half-time.

But Fleetwood came out strongly to create the majority of the chances in the second half and Clarke’s precise effort was enough to claim maximum points.

It left United, who looked tired after the break, 20th in Sky Bet League One with only five points from seven games.

After undoing the wholesale changes from the midweek cup tie, Karl Robinson’s XI showed one alteration from the previous league game.

Shandon Baptiste, a scorer on Tuesday, started in place of Ben Woodburn, who was away on international duty.

United were well aware of their torrid record against the Cod Army, but they could do little about it early on.

Simon Eastwood made a fine save diving low to his left to turn Josh Morris’s 20-yard shot round the post after only three minutes.

It was part of an opening spell where the hosts called all the shots.

For a while they held firm, Rob Dickie making an important clearance after Wes Burns had shown Alex Gorrin a clean pair of heels out wide and burst into the penalty area.

But Fleetwood’s pressure paid off in the 15th minute, Madden reacting quickest to tap in after Jordan Rossiter’s shot from the edge of the box had hit Eastwood’s left-hand post.

United though complained bitterly about a foul on Baptiste in the build-up. They had a case, but referee Trevor Kettle disagreed.

The visitors could not argue the goal had come against the run of play.

But they have got used to chasing in recent weeks, having conceded the opening goal in six of their last seven games.

Falling behind stirred the visitors, who finally established a foothold in the game, although while they saw plenty of the ball, the home side were proving difficult to break down.

Top-scorer Cameron Brannagan lashed a volley wide when a corner came his way.

United’s equaliser came from another set piece, albeit belatedly.

Anthony Forde’s initial delivery – and the follow-up – was cleared, but his third cross in a row picked out Moore to power a header high into the net from seven yards.

The visitors shaded the game up to the break, Jamie Mackie just unable to get a meaningful touch on Chris Cadden’s cross late in the half.

The interval did Fleetwood the power of good and they started the second half as they had the first.

After surviving a near own goal when Moore’s clearance ricocheted off Dickie, Kyle Dempsey had two efforts in quick succession from the edge of the box, one wide and one saved.

Burns then clipped the top of Eastwood’s near post after being played through by Lewie Coyle as United came under more pressure.

The visitors’ best chance for a long while was a downward header from James Henry which Matt Gilks did well to keep out, but the offside flag was up in any case.

The Town goalkeeper saved a header from Ruffels and saw a powerful Henry effort fly just wide from range as the travelling fans briefly had something to shout about midway through the half.

But 11 minutes from time the home side were back in front.

United dealt with a corner, but not Coyle’s follow-up, which was headed back across goal and into the net by Clarke.

Robinson’s side had made a habit out of late comebacks in recent games, but they rarely threatened another at Highbury and remain stuck on one league win this season.

Fleetwood Tn (4-3-3): Gilks, Coyle, Clarke, Dunne, Andrew, Dempsey (Evans 76), Rossiter, Coutts, Morris (Hunter 76), Madden, Burns.

Unused subs: Cairns, Eastham, Biggins, Sheron, Saunders.

Booked: Coutts.

Oxford Utd (4-2-3-1): Eastwood, Cadden (Fosu 81), Dickie, Moore, Ruffels, Gorrin (Hanson 58), Brannagan, Henry, Baptiste (Long 72), Forde, Mackie.

Unused subs: Stevens, Mousinho, Hall, Agyei.

Booked: Mackie, Baptiste.

Referee: Trevor Kettle (Leicestershire).

Attendance: 2,672.