OXFORD City hit back to secure a 1-1 draw at Eastbourne Borough on Saturday.

Substitute Zac McEachran rescued a point for Mark Jones’s side in the Vanarama National League South clash with a second-half effort after they trailed at the break.

Eastbourne played with a strong wind at their back in the opening period and dominated.

Elliott Romain and Greg Luer went close for the hosts, before City goalkeeper Craig King did well to keep out a Kane Wills effort.

The visitors created their first chance on 26 minutes when Reece Fleet glanced a header wide.

Luer and Tobi Adebayo-Rowling spurned great chances for Eastbourne on 36 minutes, but just 90 seconds later they made the breakthrough.

A cross from Kristian Campbell caught the wind and deceived King, nestling in the far corner.

After the break City, now favoured by conditions, went on the front foot, forcing home goalkeeper Tom Hadler into his first saves of the match within five minutes of the restart.

Joe Oastler, making his 100th appearance for City, and Jack Self both saw efforts kept out by the home No 1.

Eastbourne posed a threat on the break and just after the hour mark McEachran was brought on to give City a different attacking threat.

He immediately made a difference.

His first run forward resulted in Finn Tapp drilling in a shot that was tipped over.

And when Eddie Jones crossed minutes later, McEachran burst into the box to slot home the equaliser.

City pushed forward looking for the winner, Jones going close with a curling effort seven minutes from time.

Eastbourne almost snatched victory with virtually the final kick, but James Ferry’s effort was off target.

City bid for a first win of the season when they host Hampton & Richmond Borough tomorrow night.

Oxford City: King, Jones, Ashby, Moore-Azille, Oastler, Wiltshire (McEachran 61), Fleet, Brown, Owusu, Self, Tapp. Subs not used: Jefford, Caro, Fasanmade, Rowe.

Attendance: 454.

  • BANBURY United started their season with a hard-fought 0-0 draw at Redditch United.

Mike Ford’s side began the BetVictor Southern League Premier Central clash brightly.

But they could not make an early breakthrough and were fortunate not to fall behind when Rhys Hilton and Callum Coyle both went close for the hosts, the latter chance seeing Puritans goalkeeper Jack Harding needing treatment after a brave save.

John Mills almost fired Banbury ahead, before their best chance of the half fell to Gedeon Okito, but somehow his shot from just a metre out went the wrong side of the post.

After the break the visitors went close when Amer Awadh saw his shot saved.

The strong wind then caused problems for both sides and the game petered out into a goalless draw.

Banbury are next in action at home to Nuneaton Borough tomorrow night.

Banbury Utd: Harding, Roberts, Okito, Westbrook, Hawtin, Rasulo (Odhiambo 90), Dias (Johnson 66), Awadh, Henderson, Mills, Anderson (Davies 64). Subs not used: Wise, D’Nilson.

Attendance: 261.