OXFORD United conceded two quickfire goals as they fell to a home defeat against Chelsea Under-21s in the Papa John’s Trophy.

Matty Taylor went joint-ninth in United’s goalscoring charts as his first-half strike saw him equal Billy Rees on 60 goals for the club.

However, goals from Mason Burstow and Lewis Hall late in the second half condemned United to defeat.

Karl Robinson made eight changes from the team that got a point at Charlton Athletic on Saturday, with just Simon Eastwood, Marcus McGuane and Lewis Bate remaining in the starting XI.

Both teams used the opening minutes to suss each other out, and it was the visitors who carved out the first chance with eight minutes played.

Ben Elliott found himself in space on the edge of the box, and unleashed a low strike which cannoned back off Eastwood’s right hand post.

However, two minutes later, the U’s were to take the lead.

John Mousinho headed Bate’s corner into the six-yard box, where Taylor pounced in typical fashion.

It would be a dozen minutes later when either side went close, and it was Chelsea’s impressive Charlie Webster who shot wide from the edge of penalty box.

Three minutes later, Alex Gorrin got in the way of Billy Bodin as United’s No 7 looked to pull the trigger from the edge of the area, however his shot hit the Spaniard and went out for a goal kick.

As the game ticked towards the half hour mark, Eastwood was called into action to produce a superb save.

Omari Hutchinson struck a wonderful free-kick from 25 yards out, but United’s goalkeeper was more than equal to the effort as he got across his goal to turn away the set piece.

With eight minutes to go until half-time, Burstow broke the offside trap, but when one-on-one with Eastwood, his effort was tame.

The final chance of the half fell to Gorrin, who had enjoyed getting forward in the opening 45 minutes.

The midfielder found space inside the box and fired a shot from the right into the sidenetting.

Robinson brought on Cameron Brannagan at half-time in place of McGuane, and the U’s began the second period strongly.

Gorrin again found space in the box but saw his effort deflected away.

Taylor then had the chance to go clear of Rees on the scoring charts when played through one-on-one with Eddie Beach, however the Chelsea goalkeeper did well to make himself big and deny the United striker.

Almost immediately at the other end, Webster shot into a crowd of players following a corner, before Burstow did have the ball in the net but was flagged offside.

Marcus Browne and Kyle Joseph came on just before the hour mark, with the former instantly involved as he saw a shot deflected narrowly over.

Elliott then had another chance as he was allowed to run at the U’s defence, but sent his low shot wide of the post on 64 minutes.

Three minutes later, Djavan Anderson gave away a penalty as he tangled with Hutchinson in the box.

The Chelsea man took the penalty himself but saw it saved from Eastwood, with the goalkeeper up quickly to save the rebound from Hutchinson.

With 12 minutes to go, Chelsea got their equaliser through an incredible moment of genius.

Burstow spotted Eastwood off his line, and lobbed the United goalkeeper from left of the box and 30 yards out from goal.

The Blues then went ahead minutes later when Hall found space inside the penalty box, and fired into the roof of the net beyond the reach of Eastwood.

Oxford United (4-3-3): Eastwood; Anderson (Long 70), Mousinho, Golding, Seddon; McGuane (Brannagan 46), Gorrin, Bate (Goodrham 62); Bodin (Browne 57), Taylor (Joseph 57), Jones

Unused subs: Brearey, Henry.

Booked: Gorrin, Bate

Chelsea Under-21s: (4-3-3): Beach; Abu, Brooking, Gilchrist, Williams; Webster, Hutchinson, Hall; Rankine, Burstow (Soonsup-Bell 90), Elliott (Casteledine 90).

Unused subs: Sturge, Tauriainen, Hughes, Merrick.

Booked: Webster, Beach

Referee: Carl Brook (Sussex)

Attendance: 1,354 (64 visitors)