Firefighters rescued a dog from a house that caught fire in Oxfordshire.

Crews from Banbury, Eynsham and Oxford fire station scrambled to reports of a fire in a house in Fritwell, near Bicester, on Wednesday.

ALSO READ: New 'high-speed' roundabout for Bicester is put on hold

When they got there, smoke was coming out of the roof and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus quickly made access.

Although the house was empty, the team managed to rescue a dog and put the fire out.

It is believed the fire started in the kitchen before spreading to the roof.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service remind people to keep flammable materials away from ignition sources.