A QUICK-THINKING 11-year-old has been praised after putting out a kitchen fire.

Tyler De Wat from Bure Park in Bicester heard a smoke alarm go off while his mum was in another room this morning.

Bicester Advertiser:

A candle had set fire to the laminate kitchen worktop and was starting to spread to the cupboards above.

ALSO READ: Arsonists break into building and set it on fire

The schoolboy poured water onto the flames and then made sure his mum got out before the fire service were called.

Bicester Advertiser:

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service on its Facebook page wrote: "Well done to Tyler for his fast-thinking action and then following our advice - get out, stay out and call us out."