A SAFETY warningabout lithium-ion batteries has been issued by Oxfordshire's fire service after an increase in call outs.

Posting on social media, the fire service said the lightweight, rechargeable batteries which power phones, laptops and cameras were behind several fires in the county recently.

ALSO READ: Freak lightning strike causes house fire 

Safety advise issued by Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service includes;

• Always use a charger supplied with the device or recommended by the manufacturer. Using any charger other than the one intended for the battery can increase the risk of damage.
• Charge the device on a flat, solid and stable surface, such as a kitchen worktop.
• Wrapping the charging lead around the plug when not in use can cause damage to the wiring inside the lead resulting in overheating when plugged in.
• Only charge the device for the recommended charging time and don’t leave unattended – e.g. overnight while you’re asleep, or if you go out.
• Avoid overcharging your batteries. These batteries do not fare well if they are completely drained before recharging or are over-charged.