TWO men have been arrested on suspicion of murder following a vicious stabbing in an East Oxford street.

A 25-year-old and an 18-year-old, both from Oxford, were arrested on Wednesday night and remain in custody after two men were attacked on Southfield Road on February 27.

FRIDAY UPDATE - Another two arrests made by police 

One of the victims, a 22-year-old from Southampton, died from his injuries in hospital Wednesday evening, prompting police to launch a murder investigation.

He was struck by a vehicle and stabbed several times, while the second victim, aged 27, sustained less serious injuries and has since been discharged from hospital.

Thames Valley Police will continue to have an increased presence in the area over the coming days, although the force said there was 'no suggestion' of a threat to residents.

Local police commander for Oxford City, Supt Joe Kidman, said: “Understandably, this incident has had an impact on the local community, however there is no suggestion of a threat to the wider local community.

Read again: Oxford murder - what we know so far

“We have been in close contact with local councillors and resident groups and will provide further information as soon as we can.

“There will be a continued increased police presence in the coming days, including our Neighbourhood officers, members of the Public Space Drugs Taskforce and specialist officers from our Joint Operations Unit.

“Please do not hesitate to approach any of our officers if you have any concerns or information that may assist our investigation.”

Read again: Oxford stabbing victim dies

Police believe last Wednesday's incident started at about 11.20pm in Ridgefield Road, before moving into Southfield Road.

Up to 10 people are believed to have been involved in the attack, with police receiving reports of a group of men running away from the scene towards Cowley Road when it happened.

Officers arrived to find two men with stab wounds and both were taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford.

Southfield Road, opposite the City Arms pub, was closed for an entire day after the attack, with a blue forensics tent set up at the junction with Warneford Road.

Police continued to conduct house-to-house enquiries after the cordon was lifted.

On Friday, police revealed they had recovered the vehicle that is believed to be involved on the night.

The force has made further arrests in connection with the incident and a 19-year-old man of no fixed abode remains in custody. 

Meanwhile, two other men from Oxford, aged 22 and 20, were arrested and have been released on bail until March 27 and April 1 respectively.

A sixth man, a 21-year-old from Oxford, has been released without charge.


Police confirmed that the victim's family and the second victim are being supported by specially trained officers.

The force is continuing its appeal for information and has asked any witnesses to come forward, especially anyone who may have footage relating to the incident.

Senior investigating officer detective chief inspector Stuart Blaik, of Thames Valley Police's Major Crime Unit, said: “Tragically, the injuries sustained by one of the victims in this incident have proved fatal and we have launched a murder investigation.

He added: “I am very keen to hear from anybody who may have mobile phone, CCTV or dash-cam footage to get in touch with us."

If you have any information, contact the 24-hour Thames Valley Police enquiry centre on 101, quoting URN 1134 (6/3).