ATHLETICS: Douglas ready to get back on track

9:30am Thursday 10th April 2014

By Ed Mezzetti

OXFORD triple jumper Nathan Douglas is targeting a return to the world stage this summer.

The Oxford City athlete, who has been dogged by injury in the past, says he is now fully fit. Having missed out on the London 2012 Olympics, he wants to make his mark at the Glasgow Commonwealth Games and European Championships.

“I am completely healthy, which is great,” said Douglas.

“We are in the position we wanted to be for the last few years. Now it’s just about finding form again.

“The fact that the Commonwealth Games are in Glasgow is massive.

“After missing out in 2012, it would be good to go there and compete on British soil.”

He added: “The aim will be to try and qualify for the Commonwealth Games and European Championships.

“My first outdoor competition will be in the middle or end of May.”

Douglas, 31, set his personal best of 17.64m back in 2005, which is behind only Jonathan Edwards and Phillips Idowu in the all-time UK rankings.

Hitting such heights again is still a long way off, but Douglas is optimistic for the season ahead.

He said: “I have to take it one step at a time.

“Last year, the aim was to compete. This year, it is to get back on the world stage and jumping over 17m on a consistent basis.

“If you can find a consistent base, that’s where the big jumps come from.”

Back

© Copyright 2001-2014 Newsquest Media Group

Bicester Advertiser: Site Logo http://www.bicesteradvertiser.net

Click 2 Find Business Directory http://www.bicesteradvertiser.net/trade_directory/