RUGBY UNION: Blewitt's brace earns Chinnor vital win

Chinnor wing George Blewitt beats Launceston’s Jake Murphy  to score the first of his try double

Chinnor wing George Blewitt beats Launceston’s Jake Murphy to score the first of his try double

First published in Sport Bicester Advertiser: Photograph of the Author by , Sports reporter specialising in Rugby, Cricket and Athletics. Call me on 01865 425456


CHINNOR hauled themselves out of the relegation zone with a 28-20 victory over Launceston at Kingsey Road.

Two outstanding individual tries from wing George Blewitt made the difference as Chinnor leapfrogged their Cornish visitors into 12th place.

The hosts trailed 20-18 at half-time, but controlled the territory after the break and should probably have won by more.

Launceston, who are known as the Cornish All Blacks, made all the early running, taking the lead with a penalty from full back Kieron Lewitt.

They created a simple overlap for Lewitt to touch down on the left after eight minutes, with the same player’s conversion making it 10-0.

Chinnor replied on 13 minutes with a try full of flair as fly half Will Millet raced clear to score after combining well with centre Matt Goode.

Millett converted this and added two penalties as his side seized control.

Blewitt showed great acceleration and then strength to stretch across for his first try on the halfhour mark.

Just when it looked like the pendulum had swung decisively, Launceston finished the half the stronger.

Lewitt slotted a penalty before converting a try from fly half Jake Murphy, whose dummy was well executed to take advantage of a ponderous defence.

Chinnor had the wind behind them after the break, but needed some great opportunism to take the lead on 42 minutes.

Blewitt seized on a Launceston knock on to hoof down field and then out sprinted the visiting defence to claim his second try.

Millett converted for 25-20, but Blewitt was later forced off with an ankle injury he sustained in the first half.

Chinnor had far more of the territory after this, but could not add to their tally, so it remained a nervy affair.

Centre Ryan Westren and Murphy went close for Launceston, while Chinnor’s line-out continued to misfire.

It was therefore doubly surprising that they spurned at least two kickable penalty chances to kick for the corner.

But the decisive blow came when Millett slotted a three-pointer late on.

Chinnor: Mountford, G Blewitt (Barnes 56), Goode, Hayes, Fiedling, Millett, Jones, Cano, Townsend (Vickers 75), Pickett (Winpenny 71), James-Nicholls (Tibbatts 36), Gilbert (capt), Betts, Aiono (Kruzychi 63), Jope.

Referee: R Smith (Midlands).

Man-of-the-match: G Blewitt.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree