AFC Wimbledon 0 Oxford United 2 (Constable 5, Smalley pen 81)

Oxford United's Deane Smalley is brought down by Rhys Weston, and this time referee Whitestone awarded a penalty

James Constable heads home Oxford's opener at AFC Wimbledon after just five minutes

First published in Sport
Last updated
Bicester Advertiser: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Sports Reporter covering Oxford United. Follow us on twitter: @oxfordmailoufc. Call me on 01865 425458

Goals from James Constable and Deane Smalley continued Oxford United's excellent away form with a hard-earned win at AFC Wimbledon which sent Chris Wilder's men top of the table.

Constable's header, his 99th goal for the club, gave the visitors a fifth-minute lead, while Smalley's late penalty made sure of the points.

But in between the U's had to defend for their lives as Wimbledon poured forward in search of a way back into the game.

The back four were outstanding and thoroughly earned their fourth successive clean sheet in League Two.

A fifth win in seven away games ensured the U's will head into November top of the table.

Asa Hall replaced the suspended Dave Kitson in the only change to the side which started the goalless draw with Exeter City in midweek.

It prompted a change of shape, with Andy Whing sitting deep in a 4-3-3 which saw Sean Rigg and Ryan Williams pushed up on the flanks to support Constable.

Heading into the game the U's had failed to find the net in almost four hours of League Two football, but it took them just five minutes to end the run.

Hall robbed Peter Sweeney just outside the penalty area and crossed for an unmarked Constable to head in his fifth goal of the season.

Danny Rose also curled a free-kick over in a promising opening for the visitors, before Wimbledon went on to have a good spell.

Their main threat came from George Porter on the right flank. He stretched Tom Newey on 13 minutes and fired a centre across the face of goal, just ahead of George Francomb.

United were forced to defend a host of balls put into the box, but Michael Raynes and Jake Wright held firm.

The visitors were happy to soak up pressure and play on the break.

On the half hour they should have been awarded a penalty, when Rigg was floored by Barry Fuller when through on goal.

United waited for referee Dean Whitestone to point to the spot, but astonishingly he allowed play to continue.

Wimbledon looked vulnerable when attacked at pace and Williams quickly exposed the defence with a mazy run, but his shot was saved by goalkeeper Ross Worner's legs.

The hosts' best moment of the half came ten minutes before the break. Porter was again the architect, crossing for Michael Smith to send a diving header just over Ryan Clarke's crossbar.

The half ended with Rigg having another good shout for a penalty turned down as Fuller again halted his progress, while Newey picked up a fifth booking of the season, and with it a one-game suspension, for time wasting.

Constable laid on the first chance of the second half with a superb touch to Williams, who rushed the chance and shot wide.

It was a rare sight of goal for the U's early in the second half, as Wimbledon built up a head of steam.

Clarke made his first save of the game from Francomb seven minutes into the half after some indecision from Raynes.

United's defence had to work overtime as Wimbledon bombarded their penalty area.

There were plenty of nervous moments, but the back four performed well to restrict the chances.

As the hosts increasingly took risks to get back into the game, United had space to exploit in the break.

With 20 minutes left Smalley, on as a substitute, ran on to a through ball from David Hunt. He unselfishly squared for Constable, who blazed over with the goal gaping.

A superb passing move five minutes later set up an opening for Danny Rose, who could not hit the target.

Kevin Sainte-Luce gave the Dons menace on the right after coming off the bench and Clarke needed to be alert to block a shot from the winger after a dangerous run.

It was a precious save, as United went on to extend their lead nine minutes from time.

Josh Ruffels' ball over the top saw Smalley beat Rhys Weston, who then fouled him in the box.

The striker dusted himself down and blasted home from 12 yards to give the visitors some breathing space for the first time.

United still had to defend well in the closing stages, but held on to their clean sheet to complete a productive afternoon.

Oxford Utd: Clarke, Hunt, Raynes, Wright, Newey, Williams (Smalley 61), Whing, Rose, Rigg (Ruffels 80), Hall (Davies 59), Constable.

Unused subs: Crocombe, Bevans, O'Dowda, Marsh.

Wimbledon: Worner, Fuller, Weston, Frampton, Kennedy, S Moore, Sweeney (Pell 76), Francomb, Porter, Strutton (L Moore 63), Smith.

Unused subs: Brown, Fenlon, Sainte-Luce, Midson, Antwi.

Referee: Dean Whitestone (Northamptonshire).

Attendance: 4,685 (854 visitors).

Comments (35)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:06pm Sat 26 Oct 13

BigCrompy says...

Whinge, grumble, cry......only one win in three, that's relegation form....moan, moan, whinge....that Beano, not getting his hundredth today, well he's rubbish ain't he? Should have sold him to Rovers when we had the chance. Groan, mutter, gloom....that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge...top 10 this season, if we're lucky....bluster, wail, gnash of teeth....still another 246 points needed before we get promoted in 2016.

There you go Old'un, thought I'd save you the trouble....

;-)
Whinge, grumble, cry......only one win in three, that's relegation form....moan, moan, whinge....that Beano, not getting his hundredth today, well he's rubbish ain't he? Should have sold him to Rovers when we had the chance. Groan, mutter, gloom....that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge...top 10 this season, if we're lucky....bluster, wail, gnash of teeth....still another 246 points needed before we get promoted in 2016. There you go Old'un, thought I'd save you the trouble.... ;-) BigCrompy
  • Score: 41

5:07pm Sat 26 Oct 13

OUFC 4 EVA says...

Top of the league!!! I bet oldun et al can't stand it that we're flying high and that Wilder has got us back to the top where we belong!
Top of the league!!! I bet oldun et al can't stand it that we're flying high and that Wilder has got us back to the top where we belong! OUFC 4 EVA
  • Score: 24

5:13pm Sat 26 Oct 13

oldun says...

What? Hate to let the truth get in the way of a good 'story' . Brilliant to see us top of the League - points speak for themselves - we have the best record! Keep us there, Chris (the 3rd longest sever of the 92) - I want you to be granted an extended contract when you take us up at the end of the season. Great day for the Us and for me.
What? Hate to let the truth get in the way of a good 'story' . Brilliant to see us top of the League - points speak for themselves - we have the best record! Keep us there, Chris (the 3rd longest sever of the 92) - I want you to be granted an extended contract when you take us up at the end of the season. Great day for the Us and for me. oldun
  • Score: -4

5:15pm Sat 26 Oct 13

BigAlBiker says...

Top of the shop what more can a yellow supporter want?

Just think what we could do with a decent manager.

Excellent result at the dons where we always win, Let's demolish Brizzle this coming Saturday.
Top of the shop what more can a yellow supporter want? Just think what we could do with a decent manager. Excellent result at the dons where we always win, Let's demolish Brizzle this coming Saturday. BigAlBiker
  • Score: -16

5:16pm Sat 26 Oct 13

oldun says...

Yep we should have sold him to Rovers - it was a massive fee. Relegation form? I don't remember anyone mentioning relegation form this season - who was it? Nice to see you posting - see ya when we get a bad result. Come on United beat the Gas !!
Yep we should have sold him to Rovers - it was a massive fee. Relegation form? I don't remember anyone mentioning relegation form this season - who was it? Nice to see you posting - see ya when we get a bad result. Come on United beat the Gas !! oldun
  • Score: -4

5:18pm Sat 26 Oct 13

oldun says...

BigCrompy wrote:
Whinge, grumble, cry......only one win in three, that's relegation form....moan, moan, whinge....that Beano, not getting his hundredth today, well he's rubbish ain't he? Should have sold him to Rovers when we had the chance. Groan, mutter, gloom....that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge...top 10 this season, if we're lucky....bluster, wail, gnash of teeth....still another 246 points needed before we get promoted in 2016.

There you go Old'un, thought I'd save you the trouble....

;-)
Is that your best shot, big man? Have as good an evening as I will - please don't demean yourself by twisting the words of others
[quote][p][bold]BigCrompy[/bold] wrote: Whinge, grumble, cry......only one win in three, that's relegation form....moan, moan, whinge....that Beano, not getting his hundredth today, well he's rubbish ain't he? Should have sold him to Rovers when we had the chance. Groan, mutter, gloom....that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge...top 10 this season, if we're lucky....bluster, wail, gnash of teeth....still another 246 points needed before we get promoted in 2016. There you go Old'un, thought I'd save you the trouble.... ;-)[/p][/quote]Is that your best shot, big man? Have as good an evening as I will - please don't demean yourself by twisting the words of others oldun
  • Score: -20

5:20pm Sat 26 Oct 13

oldun says...

OUFC 4 EVA wrote:
Top of the league!!! I bet oldun et al can't stand it that we're flying high and that Wilder has got us back to the top where we belong!
Two out of ten for effort - one for accuracy
[quote][p][bold]OUFC 4 EVA[/bold] wrote: Top of the league!!! I bet oldun et al can't stand it that we're flying high and that Wilder has got us back to the top where we belong![/p][/quote]Two out of ten for effort - one for accuracy oldun
  • Score: -17

5:58pm Sat 26 Oct 13

Alfie33 says...

Fantastic result totally deserved...thought Hall was excellent what a ball for the first goal....We have the squad to do this....Fantastic to see us at the top of the table....COME ON YELLOWS!!!!!!! WE CAN DO THIS
Fantastic result totally deserved...thought Hall was excellent what a ball for the first goal....We have the squad to do this....Fantastic to see us at the top of the table....COME ON YELLOWS!!!!!!! WE CAN DO THIS Alfie33
  • Score: 22

6:03pm Sat 26 Oct 13

SLADOX says...

Great to see we are top! Amazing away form! Wonder how many points we could have been ahead if we had decent home form... Need to make the kassam a fortress!
Great to see we are top! Amazing away form! Wonder how many points we could have been ahead if we had decent home form... Need to make the kassam a fortress! SLADOX
  • Score: 16

7:15pm Sat 26 Oct 13

BigYellowScarf says...

BigCrompy wrote:
Whinge, grumble, cry......only one win in three, that's relegation form....moan, moan, whinge....that Beano, not getting his hundredth today, well he's rubbish ain't he? Should have sold him to Rovers when we had the chance. Groan, mutter, gloom....that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge...top 10 this season, if we're lucky....bluster, wail, gnash of teeth....still another 246 points needed before we get promoted in 2016.

There you go Old'un, thought I'd save you the trouble....

;-)
Yeah, that Wilder is so negative that we've got the joint best defensive record in the division. And because he's so negative we've only scored more goals than the rest of League 2. And all you ever hear from the squad is positivity, enthusiasm and united spirit - what a rubbish man-manager he must be. And by the way, that Kitson is so useless that he does nothing but find space and control the ball with a touch better than anyone on the pitch and bring others into play with awareness and skill that are in a different class. We're going nowhere with those two, obviously.
[quote][p][bold]BigCrompy[/bold] wrote: Whinge, grumble, cry......only one win in three, that's relegation form....moan, moan, whinge....that Beano, not getting his hundredth today, well he's rubbish ain't he? Should have sold him to Rovers when we had the chance. Groan, mutter, gloom....that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge...top 10 this season, if we're lucky....bluster, wail, gnash of teeth....still another 246 points needed before we get promoted in 2016. There you go Old'un, thought I'd save you the trouble.... ;-)[/p][/quote]Yeah, that Wilder is so negative that we've got the joint best defensive record in the division. And because he's so negative we've only scored more goals than the rest of League 2. And all you ever hear from the squad is positivity, enthusiasm and united spirit - what a rubbish man-manager he must be. And by the way, that Kitson is so useless that he does nothing but find space and control the ball with a touch better than anyone on the pitch and bring others into play with awareness and skill that are in a different class. We're going nowhere with those two, obviously. BigYellowScarf
  • Score: 19

7:26pm Sat 26 Oct 13

greengarden says...

Wow what a rubbish manager we have, he's only got us to top spot!

All the moaners must be so upset that CW is doing the job that Mr Leneghan asked of him.......

Well CW just keep it up and continue to ignore all the moaning negative idiots that frequent this board and create a mood of negativity and doom/gloom at home games

Come on u Yellows you can do just keep believing ....
Wow what a rubbish manager we have, he's only got us to top spot! All the moaners must be so upset that CW is doing the job that Mr Leneghan asked of him....... Well CW just keep it up and continue to ignore all the moaning negative idiots that frequent this board and create a mood of negativity and doom/gloom at home games Come on u Yellows you can do just keep believing .... greengarden
  • Score: 22

8:10pm Sat 26 Oct 13

oldun says...

BigYellowScarf wrote:
BigCrompy wrote:
Whinge, grumble, cry......only one win in three, that's relegation form....moan, moan, whinge....that Beano, not getting his hundredth today, well he's rubbish ain't he? Should have sold him to Rovers when we had the chance. Groan, mutter, gloom....that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge...top 10 this season, if we're lucky....bluster, wail, gnash of teeth....still another 246 points needed before we get promoted in 2016.

There you go Old'un, thought I'd save you the trouble....

;-)
Yeah, that Wilder is so negative that we've got the joint best defensive record in the division. And because he's so negative we've only scored more goals than the rest of League 2. And all you ever hear from the squad is positivity, enthusiasm and united spirit - what a rubbish man-manager he must be. And by the way, that Kitson is so useless that he does nothing but find space and control the ball with a touch better than anyone on the pitch and bring others into play with awareness and skill that are in a different class. We're going nowhere with those two, obviously.
Away results have been brilliant.

Kitson? Really glad that Kitson did not play today - his contribution in most home games has been zilch.

We should have gained many more points at home - too negative in four matches.

. Really packing them in aren't we? Many season ticket holders don't even bother.

Away results have been brilliant - well done all on the road .

As we are In the top three things are great
[quote][p][bold]BigYellowScarf[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BigCrompy[/bold] wrote: Whinge, grumble, cry......only one win in three, that's relegation form....moan, moan, whinge....that Beano, not getting his hundredth today, well he's rubbish ain't he? Should have sold him to Rovers when we had the chance. Groan, mutter, gloom....that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge...top 10 this season, if we're lucky....bluster, wail, gnash of teeth....still another 246 points needed before we get promoted in 2016. There you go Old'un, thought I'd save you the trouble.... ;-)[/p][/quote]Yeah, that Wilder is so negative that we've got the joint best defensive record in the division. And because he's so negative we've only scored more goals than the rest of League 2. And all you ever hear from the squad is positivity, enthusiasm and united spirit - what a rubbish man-manager he must be. And by the way, that Kitson is so useless that he does nothing but find space and control the ball with a touch better than anyone on the pitch and bring others into play with awareness and skill that are in a different class. We're going nowhere with those two, obviously.[/p][/quote]Away results have been brilliant. Kitson? Really glad that Kitson did not play today - his contribution in most home games has been zilch. We should have gained many more points at home - too negative in four matches. . Really packing them in aren't we? Many season ticket holders don't even bother. Away results have been brilliant - well done all on the road . As we are In the top three things are great oldun
  • Score: -8

8:12pm Sat 26 Oct 13

oldun says...

greengarden wrote:
Wow what a rubbish manager we have, he's only got us to top spot!

All the moaners must be so upset that CW is doing the job that Mr Leneghan asked of him.......

Well CW just keep it up and continue to ignore all the moaning negative idiots that frequent this board and create a mood of negativity and doom/gloom at home games

Come on u Yellows you can do just keep believing ....
The moaners all want United to go up this season - be sensible
[quote][p][bold]greengarden[/bold] wrote: Wow what a rubbish manager we have, he's only got us to top spot! All the moaners must be so upset that CW is doing the job that Mr Leneghan asked of him....... Well CW just keep it up and continue to ignore all the moaning negative idiots that frequent this board and create a mood of negativity and doom/gloom at home games Come on u Yellows you can do just keep believing ....[/p][/quote]The moaners all want United to go up this season - be sensible oldun
  • Score: -12

8:14pm Sat 26 Oct 13

Davos P says...

The problem with the negative contributors (they know who they are) is they are the fans who believe Oxford have a divine right to be in the Championship. Well we don't! dips in form should be expected for any club but let's celebrate the good times and get off Lenegans and Wilder's backs. They know better than most of us how to run the club. These contributors are the fans standing at the game with arms crossed watching the manager and not the game, booing more than cheering. Glad there's more positive than negative comments out there. Gives me a lot more hope for our promotion chances.
The problem with the negative contributors (they know who they are) is they are the fans who believe Oxford have a divine right to be in the Championship. Well we don't! dips in form should be expected for any club but let's celebrate the good times and get off Lenegans and Wilder's backs. They know better than most of us how to run the club. These contributors are the fans standing at the game with arms crossed watching the manager and not the game, booing more than cheering. Glad there's more positive than negative comments out there. Gives me a lot more hope for our promotion chances. Davos P
  • Score: 16

8:23pm Sat 26 Oct 13

oldun says...

Davos P wrote:
The problem with the negative contributors (they know who they are) is they are the fans who believe Oxford have a divine right to be in the Championship. Well we don't! dips in form should be expected for any club but let's celebrate the good times and get off Lenegans and Wilder's backs. They know better than most of us how to run the club. These contributors are the fans standing at the game with arms crossed watching the manager and not the game, booing more than cheering. Glad there's more positive than negative comments out there. Gives me a lot more hope for our promotion chances.
If labelled as either positive as negative, I am no doubt put in the second category.

I don't think that we have a divine right to be in the Championship. No other club of our size has been below the third tier ever since 2001 . Many much smaller clubs are in the div above us - 13 seasons is far too long (yes, I realise than IL and Chris were not here anything like that long ago)

Our gates are massively down on two seasons ago - must be a lot of 'negative' folk around

I cheer the team as much as most . I rarely boo a player . Few do. , The place is a morgue on many games isn't it?
[quote][p][bold]Davos P[/bold] wrote: The problem with the negative contributors (they know who they are) is they are the fans who believe Oxford have a divine right to be in the Championship. Well we don't! dips in form should be expected for any club but let's celebrate the good times and get off Lenegans and Wilder's backs. They know better than most of us how to run the club. These contributors are the fans standing at the game with arms crossed watching the manager and not the game, booing more than cheering. Glad there's more positive than negative comments out there. Gives me a lot more hope for our promotion chances.[/p][/quote]If labelled as either positive as negative, I am no doubt put in the second category. I don't think that we have a divine right to be in the Championship. No other club of our size has been below the third tier ever since 2001 . Many much smaller clubs are in the div above us - 13 seasons is far too long (yes, I realise than IL and Chris were not here anything like that long ago) Our gates are massively down on two seasons ago - must be a lot of 'negative' folk around I cheer the team as much as most . I rarely boo a player . Few do. , The place is a morgue on many games isn't it? oldun
  • Score: -9

8:33pm Sat 26 Oct 13

oldun says...

Davos P wrote:
The problem with the negative contributors (they know who they are) is they are the fans who believe Oxford have a divine right to be in the Championship. Well we don't! dips in form should be expected for any club but let's celebrate the good times and get off Lenegans and Wilder's backs. They know better than most of us how to run the club. These contributors are the fans standing at the game with arms crossed watching the manager and not the game, booing more than cheering. Glad there's more positive than negative comments out there. Gives me a lot more hope for our promotion chances.
Yep the so called 'positive contributors' do have plenty to shout about today - great - we are top! If we play badly next week (please no!) many of them will be absent from here . I can never quite work out why gloating or sniping at other supporters takes place - but I understand why folk find me boring (don't bother reading my posts) and the little occasional dig at me lightens up my dull life - thanks . Good news for those who are bored by my opinions of the current situation , I won't be able to post next Sat evening. Come on you U's
[quote][p][bold]Davos P[/bold] wrote: The problem with the negative contributors (they know who they are) is they are the fans who believe Oxford have a divine right to be in the Championship. Well we don't! dips in form should be expected for any club but let's celebrate the good times and get off Lenegans and Wilder's backs. They know better than most of us how to run the club. These contributors are the fans standing at the game with arms crossed watching the manager and not the game, booing more than cheering. Glad there's more positive than negative comments out there. Gives me a lot more hope for our promotion chances.[/p][/quote]Yep the so called 'positive contributors' do have plenty to shout about today - great - we are top! If we play badly next week (please no!) many of them will be absent from here . I can never quite work out why gloating or sniping at other supporters takes place - but I understand why folk find me boring (don't bother reading my posts) and the little occasional dig at me lightens up my dull life - thanks . Good news for those who are bored by my opinions of the current situation , I won't be able to post next Sat evening. Come on you U's oldun
  • Score: -9

9:02pm Sat 26 Oct 13

dorsetyellows says...

The effort and commitment from the oxford players at wimbledon was terrific , the passion and support from the manager and staff in the dug out was right on it . As for the fantastic away support given to the team , it must be worth an extra player .
The effort and commitment from the oxford players at wimbledon was terrific , the passion and support from the manager and staff in the dug out was right on it . As for the fantastic away support given to the team , it must be worth an extra player . dorsetyellows
  • Score: 19

9:09pm Sat 26 Oct 13

oldun says...

Oxford United 7451 - average home attendance in 2011-12

Negative opinion ?

No - fact !




Lots of positive thinking going on?
Oxford United 7451 - average home attendance in 2011-12 Negative opinion ? No - fact ! Lots of positive thinking going on? oldun
  • Score: -10

1:24am Sun 27 Oct 13

BenkiuGuasu says...

NICE ONE THE LADS
NICE ONE THE LADS BenkiuGuasu
  • Score: 8

1:43am Sun 27 Oct 13

BenkiuGuasu says...

BigAlBiker wrote:
Top of the shop what more can a yellow supporter want?

Just think what we could do with a decent manager.

Excellent result at the dons where we always win, Let's demolish Brizzle this coming Saturday.
Yeah, just think what a could happen with a decent manager, who buys different players, has different team selection, different tactics.....logic dictates that we'd be promoted by now at least!
[quote][p][bold]BigAlBiker[/bold] wrote: Top of the shop what more can a yellow supporter want? Just think what we could do with a decent manager. Excellent result at the dons where we always win, Let's demolish Brizzle this coming Saturday.[/p][/quote]Yeah, just think what a could happen with a decent manager, who buys different players, has different team selection, different tactics.....logic dictates that we'd be promoted by now at least! BenkiuGuasu
  • Score: -2

3:43am Sun 27 Oct 13

BigCrompy says...

BigYellowScarf wrote:
BigCrompy wrote:
Whinge, grumble, cry......only one win in three, that's relegation form....moan, moan, whinge....that Beano, not getting his hundredth today, well he's rubbish ain't he? Should have sold him to Rovers when we had the chance. Groan, mutter, gloom....that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge...top 10 this season, if we're lucky....bluster, wail, gnash of teeth....still another 246 points needed before we get promoted in 2016.

There you go Old'un, thought I'd save you the trouble....

;-)
Yeah, that Wilder is so negative that we've got the joint best defensive record in the division. And because he's so negative we've only scored more goals than the rest of League 2. And all you ever hear from the squad is positivity, enthusiasm and united spirit - what a rubbish man-manager he must be. And by the way, that Kitson is so useless that he does nothing but find space and control the ball with a touch better than anyone on the pitch and bring others into play with awareness and skill that are in a different class. We're going nowhere with those two, obviously.
You surely....wouldn't have totally missed the point of my lampoon, would you old sauce?
[quote][p][bold]BigYellowScarf[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BigCrompy[/bold] wrote: Whinge, grumble, cry......only one win in three, that's relegation form....moan, moan, whinge....that Beano, not getting his hundredth today, well he's rubbish ain't he? Should have sold him to Rovers when we had the chance. Groan, mutter, gloom....that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge...top 10 this season, if we're lucky....bluster, wail, gnash of teeth....still another 246 points needed before we get promoted in 2016. There you go Old'un, thought I'd save you the trouble.... ;-)[/p][/quote]Yeah, that Wilder is so negative that we've got the joint best defensive record in the division. And because he's so negative we've only scored more goals than the rest of League 2. And all you ever hear from the squad is positivity, enthusiasm and united spirit - what a rubbish man-manager he must be. And by the way, that Kitson is so useless that he does nothing but find space and control the ball with a touch better than anyone on the pitch and bring others into play with awareness and skill that are in a different class. We're going nowhere with those two, obviously.[/p][/quote]You surely....wouldn't have totally missed the point of my lampoon, would you old sauce? BigCrompy
  • Score: 1

3:46am Sun 27 Oct 13

BigCrompy says...

oldun wrote:
BigCrompy wrote:
Whinge, grumble, cry......only one win in three, that's relegation form....moan, moan, whinge....that Beano, not getting his hundredth today, well he's rubbish ain't he? Should have sold him to Rovers when we had the chance. Groan, mutter, gloom....that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge...top 10 this season, if we're lucky....bluster, wail, gnash of teeth....still another 246 points needed before we get promoted in 2016.

There you go Old'un, thought I'd save you the trouble....

;-)
Is that your best shot, big man? Have as good an evening as I will - please don't demean yourself by twisting the words of others
Pretty sure my 'best shot' wouldn't end with a smiley wink, old love!

Cheer up...we're top of the league!

(at least for a week, arf arf arf!)
[quote][p][bold]oldun[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BigCrompy[/bold] wrote: Whinge, grumble, cry......only one win in three, that's relegation form....moan, moan, whinge....that Beano, not getting his hundredth today, well he's rubbish ain't he? Should have sold him to Rovers when we had the chance. Groan, mutter, gloom....that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge...top 10 this season, if we're lucky....bluster, wail, gnash of teeth....still another 246 points needed before we get promoted in 2016. There you go Old'un, thought I'd save you the trouble.... ;-)[/p][/quote]Is that your best shot, big man? Have as good an evening as I will - please don't demean yourself by twisting the words of others[/p][/quote]Pretty sure my 'best shot' wouldn't end with a smiley wink, old love! Cheer up...we're top of the league! (at least for a week, arf arf arf!) BigCrompy
  • Score: 2

5:41am Sun 27 Oct 13

oldun says...

BigCrompy wrote:
BigYellowScarf wrote:
BigCrompy wrote:
Whinge, grumble, cry......only one win in three, that's relegation form....moan, moan, whinge....that Beano, not getting his hundredth today, well he's rubbish ain't he? Should have sold him to Rovers when we had the chance. Groan, mutter, gloom....that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge...top 10 this season, if we're lucky....bluster, wail, gnash of teeth....still another 246 points needed before we get promoted in 2016.

There you go Old'un, thought I'd save you the trouble....

;-)
Yeah, that Wilder is so negative that we've got the joint best defensive record in the division. And because he's so negative we've only scored more goals than the rest of League 2. And all you ever hear from the squad is positivity, enthusiasm and united spirit - what a rubbish man-manager he must be. And by the way, that Kitson is so useless that he does nothing but find space and control the ball with a touch better than anyone on the pitch and bring others into play with awareness and skill that are in a different class. We're going nowhere with those two, obviously.
You surely....wouldn't have totally missed the point of my lampoon, would you old sauce?
Silly me - the subtlety was beyond me
[quote][p][bold]BigCrompy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BigYellowScarf[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BigCrompy[/bold] wrote: Whinge, grumble, cry......only one win in three, that's relegation form....moan, moan, whinge....that Beano, not getting his hundredth today, well he's rubbish ain't he? Should have sold him to Rovers when we had the chance. Groan, mutter, gloom....that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge...top 10 this season, if we're lucky....bluster, wail, gnash of teeth....still another 246 points needed before we get promoted in 2016. There you go Old'un, thought I'd save you the trouble.... ;-)[/p][/quote]Yeah, that Wilder is so negative that we've got the joint best defensive record in the division. And because he's so negative we've only scored more goals than the rest of League 2. And all you ever hear from the squad is positivity, enthusiasm and united spirit - what a rubbish man-manager he must be. And by the way, that Kitson is so useless that he does nothing but find space and control the ball with a touch better than anyone on the pitch and bring others into play with awareness and skill that are in a different class. We're going nowhere with those two, obviously.[/p][/quote]You surely....wouldn't have totally missed the point of my lampoon, would you old sauce?[/p][/quote]Silly me - the subtlety was beyond me oldun
  • Score: -3

6:10am Sun 27 Oct 13

oldun says...

BigCrompy wrote:
oldun wrote:
BigCrompy wrote:
Whinge, grumble, cry......only one win in three, that's relegation form....moan, moan, whinge....that Beano, not getting his hundredth today, well he's rubbish ain't he? Should have sold him to Rovers when we had the chance. Groan, mutter, gloom....that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge...top 10 this season, if we're lucky....bluster, wail, gnash of teeth....still another 246 points needed before we get promoted in 2016.

There you go Old'un, thought I'd save you the trouble....

;-)
Is that your best shot, big man? Have as good an evening as I will - please don't demean yourself by twisting the words of others
Pretty sure my 'best shot' wouldn't end with a smiley wink, old love!

Cheer up...we're top of the league!

(at least for a week, arf arf arf!)
Thank you, very big man

- very a bit slow off the mark - your script (and its witty tenor) was covered much much better by another earlier fellow jolly japer

Why are the number of home supporters at Kassam down by well over 25% in two seasons? Not far off one third

"that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge" - ho, ho

Yet again, I do hope that Chris (a very pleasant guy) takes us up this season and thus keeps his job - move over Wenger and Tisdale (I want him to be number one)

Yes, again, I am not convinced that Chris will take us up this season (are you?) -

but if he is given another 5 years, he will do so (and so might you in his place)

Luckily, my month has gone brilliantly - I trust that yours has (?) .

My fave football team is top of its lowly division (and is doing much better than it has since the 20th century)

Much more importantly , the so many much more important aspects of my life are going very well .

I hope that you don't start to become a sniping individual who spins others' words.


I am sure that you never intentionally misquote others

Have a great week - I am just off to a great party with some really interesting folk from the music industry

I have to shoot off after next Saturday's game (to another party) and may well suffer from deprivation next Saturday evening as I will miss the oh so subtle and original witticisms from three or four occasional posters on this site

Come on United - great to be in the top 3 - stay there - win next Sat
[quote][p][bold]BigCrompy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]oldun[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BigCrompy[/bold] wrote: Whinge, grumble, cry......only one win in three, that's relegation form....moan, moan, whinge....that Beano, not getting his hundredth today, well he's rubbish ain't he? Should have sold him to Rovers when we had the chance. Groan, mutter, gloom....that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge...top 10 this season, if we're lucky....bluster, wail, gnash of teeth....still another 246 points needed before we get promoted in 2016. There you go Old'un, thought I'd save you the trouble.... ;-)[/p][/quote]Is that your best shot, big man? Have as good an evening as I will - please don't demean yourself by twisting the words of others[/p][/quote]Pretty sure my 'best shot' wouldn't end with a smiley wink, old love! Cheer up...we're top of the league! (at least for a week, arf arf arf!)[/p][/quote]Thank you, very big man - very a bit slow off the mark - your script (and its witty tenor) was covered much much better by another earlier fellow jolly japer Why are the number of home supporters at Kassam down by well over 25% in two seasons? Not far off one third "that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge" - ho, ho Yet again, I do hope that Chris (a very pleasant guy) takes us up this season and thus keeps his job - move over Wenger and Tisdale (I want him to be number one) Yes, again, I am not convinced that Chris will take us up this season (are you?) - but if he is given another 5 years, he will do so (and so might you in his place) Luckily, my month has gone brilliantly - I trust that yours has (?) . My fave football team is top of its lowly division (and is doing much better than it has since the 20th century) Much more importantly , the so many much more important aspects of my life are going very well . I hope that you don't start to become a sniping individual who spins others' words. I am sure that you never intentionally misquote others Have a great week - I am just off to a great party with some really interesting folk from the music industry I have to shoot off after next Saturday's game (to another party) and may well suffer from deprivation next Saturday evening as I will miss the oh so subtle and original witticisms from three or four occasional posters on this site Come on United - great to be in the top 3 - stay there - win next Sat oldun
  • Score: -10

8:14am Sun 27 Oct 13

BigYellowScarf says...

BigCrompy wrote:
BigYellowScarf wrote:
BigCrompy wrote:
Whinge, grumble, cry......only one win in three, that's relegation form....moan, moan, whinge....that Beano, not getting his hundredth today, well he's rubbish ain't he? Should have sold him to Rovers when we had the chance. Groan, mutter, gloom....that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge...top 10 this season, if we're lucky....bluster, wail, gnash of teeth....still another 246 points needed before we get promoted in 2016.

There you go Old'un, thought I'd save you the trouble....

;-)
Yeah, that Wilder is so negative that we've got the joint best defensive record in the division. And because he's so negative we've only scored more goals than the rest of League 2. And all you ever hear from the squad is positivity, enthusiasm and united spirit - what a rubbish man-manager he must be. And by the way, that Kitson is so useless that he does nothing but find space and control the ball with a touch better than anyone on the pitch and bring others into play with awareness and skill that are in a different class. We're going nowhere with those two, obviously.
You surely....wouldn't have totally missed the point of my lampoon, would you old sauce?
Good grief, course not. Enjoyed your post and was carrying on in the same vein. Keep deriding the pointless, corrosive negativity. Have a good week.
[quote][p][bold]BigCrompy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BigYellowScarf[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BigCrompy[/bold] wrote: Whinge, grumble, cry......only one win in three, that's relegation form....moan, moan, whinge....that Beano, not getting his hundredth today, well he's rubbish ain't he? Should have sold him to Rovers when we had the chance. Groan, mutter, gloom....that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge...top 10 this season, if we're lucky....bluster, wail, gnash of teeth....still another 246 points needed before we get promoted in 2016. There you go Old'un, thought I'd save you the trouble.... ;-)[/p][/quote]Yeah, that Wilder is so negative that we've got the joint best defensive record in the division. And because he's so negative we've only scored more goals than the rest of League 2. And all you ever hear from the squad is positivity, enthusiasm and united spirit - what a rubbish man-manager he must be. And by the way, that Kitson is so useless that he does nothing but find space and control the ball with a touch better than anyone on the pitch and bring others into play with awareness and skill that are in a different class. We're going nowhere with those two, obviously.[/p][/quote]You surely....wouldn't have totally missed the point of my lampoon, would you old sauce?[/p][/quote]Good grief, course not. Enjoyed your post and was carrying on in the same vein. Keep deriding the pointless, corrosive negativity. Have a good week. BigYellowScarf
  • Score: 2

9:25am Sun 27 Oct 13

BigCrompy says...

BigYellowScarf wrote:
BigCrompy wrote:
BigYellowScarf wrote:
BigCrompy wrote:
Whinge, grumble, cry......only one win in three, that's relegation form....moan, moan, whinge....that Beano, not getting his hundredth today, well he's rubbish ain't he? Should have sold him to Rovers when we had the chance. Groan, mutter, gloom....that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge...top 10 this season, if we're lucky....bluster, wail, gnash of teeth....still another 246 points needed before we get promoted in 2016.

There you go Old'un, thought I'd save you the trouble....

;-)
Yeah, that Wilder is so negative that we've got the joint best defensive record in the division. And because he's so negative we've only scored more goals than the rest of League 2. And all you ever hear from the squad is positivity, enthusiasm and united spirit - what a rubbish man-manager he must be. And by the way, that Kitson is so useless that he does nothing but find space and control the ball with a touch better than anyone on the pitch and bring others into play with awareness and skill that are in a different class. We're going nowhere with those two, obviously.
You surely....wouldn't have totally missed the point of my lampoon, would you old sauce?
Good grief, course not. Enjoyed your post and was carrying on in the same vein. Keep deriding the pointless, corrosive negativity. Have a good week.
Good on yer, chief, can't easily tell these things in black and white!
[quote][p][bold]BigYellowScarf[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BigCrompy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BigYellowScarf[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BigCrompy[/bold] wrote: Whinge, grumble, cry......only one win in three, that's relegation form....moan, moan, whinge....that Beano, not getting his hundredth today, well he's rubbish ain't he? Should have sold him to Rovers when we had the chance. Groan, mutter, gloom....that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge...top 10 this season, if we're lucky....bluster, wail, gnash of teeth....still another 246 points needed before we get promoted in 2016. There you go Old'un, thought I'd save you the trouble.... ;-)[/p][/quote]Yeah, that Wilder is so negative that we've got the joint best defensive record in the division. And because he's so negative we've only scored more goals than the rest of League 2. And all you ever hear from the squad is positivity, enthusiasm and united spirit - what a rubbish man-manager he must be. And by the way, that Kitson is so useless that he does nothing but find space and control the ball with a touch better than anyone on the pitch and bring others into play with awareness and skill that are in a different class. We're going nowhere with those two, obviously.[/p][/quote]You surely....wouldn't have totally missed the point of my lampoon, would you old sauce?[/p][/quote]Good grief, course not. Enjoyed your post and was carrying on in the same vein. Keep deriding the pointless, corrosive negativity. Have a good week.[/p][/quote]Good on yer, chief, can't easily tell these things in black and white! BigCrompy
  • Score: 1

9:44am Sun 27 Oct 13

BigCrompy says...

oldun wrote:
BigCrompy wrote:
oldun wrote:
BigCrompy wrote:
Whinge, grumble, cry......only one win in three, that's relegation form....moan, moan, whinge....that Beano, not getting his hundredth today, well he's rubbish ain't he? Should have sold him to Rovers when we had the chance. Groan, mutter, gloom....that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge...top 10 this season, if we're lucky....bluster, wail, gnash of teeth....still another 246 points needed before we get promoted in 2016.

There you go Old'un, thought I'd save you the trouble....

;-)
Is that your best shot, big man? Have as good an evening as I will - please don't demean yourself by twisting the words of others
Pretty sure my 'best shot' wouldn't end with a smiley wink, old love!

Cheer up...we're top of the league!

(at least for a week, arf arf arf!)
Thank you, very big man

- very a bit slow off the mark - your script (and its witty tenor) was covered much much better by another earlier fellow jolly japer

Why are the number of home supporters at Kassam down by well over 25% in two seasons? Not far off one third

"that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge" - ho, ho

Yet again, I do hope that Chris (a very pleasant guy) takes us up this season and thus keeps his job - move over Wenger and Tisdale (I want him to be number one)

Yes, again, I am not convinced that Chris will take us up this season (are you?) -

but if he is given another 5 years, he will do so (and so might you in his place)

Luckily, my month has gone brilliantly - I trust that yours has (?) .

My fave football team is top of its lowly division (and is doing much better than it has since the 20th century)

Much more importantly , the so many much more important aspects of my life are going very well .

I hope that you don't start to become a sniping individual who spins others' words.


I am sure that you never intentionally misquote others

Have a great week - I am just off to a great party with some really interesting folk from the music industry

I have to shoot off after next Saturday's game (to another party) and may well suffer from deprivation next Saturday evening as I will miss the oh so subtle and original witticisms from three or four occasional posters on this site

Come on United - great to be in the top 3 - stay there - win next Sat
To address some of your issues;
- no 'sniping', I assure you, merely banter
- got another year older and greyer (not wiser), summer's nearly here, passed professional physician exams and my favourite team is not only top 3, but actually top - so a super month over this way too, thanks for asking
- interestingly do I think Wilder will take us up? I will grant you I think that he goes the tough way about it much of the time, and luck often conspires against us. I think with Meades to come in, others to come back - and likely at least another signing then we will be serious contenders; although there will be slumps of varying degrees of severity and we've arguably less depth than previous years, I am still confident we'll ride it out.

But most importantly, I am CERTAINLY going to enjoy the smooth as God knows we've all had enough of the rough. I am not looking to delight in being able to say "I told you so" if we don't make it.
[quote][p][bold]oldun[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BigCrompy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]oldun[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BigCrompy[/bold] wrote: Whinge, grumble, cry......only one win in three, that's relegation form....moan, moan, whinge....that Beano, not getting his hundredth today, well he's rubbish ain't he? Should have sold him to Rovers when we had the chance. Groan, mutter, gloom....that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge...top 10 this season, if we're lucky....bluster, wail, gnash of teeth....still another 246 points needed before we get promoted in 2016. There you go Old'un, thought I'd save you the trouble.... ;-)[/p][/quote]Is that your best shot, big man? Have as good an evening as I will - please don't demean yourself by twisting the words of others[/p][/quote]Pretty sure my 'best shot' wouldn't end with a smiley wink, old love! Cheer up...we're top of the league! (at least for a week, arf arf arf!)[/p][/quote]Thank you, very big man - very a bit slow off the mark - your script (and its witty tenor) was covered much much better by another earlier fellow jolly japer Why are the number of home supporters at Kassam down by well over 25% in two seasons? Not far off one third "that Wilder, we'll never get anywhere with him in charge" - ho, ho Yet again, I do hope that Chris (a very pleasant guy) takes us up this season and thus keeps his job - move over Wenger and Tisdale (I want him to be number one) Yes, again, I am not convinced that Chris will take us up this season (are you?) - but if he is given another 5 years, he will do so (and so might you in his place) Luckily, my month has gone brilliantly - I trust that yours has (?) . My fave football team is top of its lowly division (and is doing much better than it has since the 20th century) Much more importantly , the so many much more important aspects of my life are going very well . I hope that you don't start to become a sniping individual who spins others' words. I am sure that you never intentionally misquote others Have a great week - I am just off to a great party with some really interesting folk from the music industry I have to shoot off after next Saturday's game (to another party) and may well suffer from deprivation next Saturday evening as I will miss the oh so subtle and original witticisms from three or four occasional posters on this site Come on United - great to be in the top 3 - stay there - win next Sat[/p][/quote]To address some of your issues; - no 'sniping', I assure you, merely banter - got another year older and greyer (not wiser), summer's nearly here, passed professional physician exams and my favourite team is not only top 3, but actually top - so a super month over this way too, thanks for asking - interestingly do I think Wilder will take us up? I will grant you I think that he goes the tough way about it much of the time, and luck often conspires against us. I think with Meades to come in, others to come back - and likely at least another signing then we will be serious contenders; although there will be slumps of varying degrees of severity and we've arguably less depth than previous years, I am still confident we'll ride it out. But most importantly, I am CERTAINLY going to enjoy the smooth as God knows we've all had enough of the rough. I am not looking to delight in being able to say "I told you so" if we don't make it. BigCrompy
  • Score: -1

10:09am Sun 27 Oct 13

dorsetbob says...

Back to the point or points 6points between 1st and 13th, only 16 points between top and bottom, its a very mediocre basement league, so CW ,this is your chance, playing dire stuff at home you still top, thousands down on home attendances less than 5000 home supporters for third against fourth. Going into saturday we were fourth the top three couldnot produce a win between them , again MEDIOCRE league over to you CW its your season for the taking
Back to the point or points 6points between 1st and 13th, only 16 points between top and bottom, its a very mediocre basement league, so CW ,this is your chance, playing dire stuff at home you still top, thousands down on home attendances less than 5000 home supporters for third against fourth. Going into saturday we were fourth the top three couldnot produce a win between them , again MEDIOCRE league over to you CW its your season for the taking dorsetbob
  • Score: 4

12:24pm Sun 27 Oct 13

BenkiuGuasu says...

BenkiuGuasu wrote:
BigAlBiker wrote:
Top of the shop what more can a yellow supporter want?

Just think what we could do with a decent manager.

Excellent result at the dons where we always win, Let's demolish Brizzle this coming Saturday.
Yeah, just think what a could happen with a decent manager, who buys different players, has different team selection, different tactics.....logic dictates that we'd be promoted by now at least!
I hope the sarcasm cam through here.

Wilder, has got us to the top with his team selection, tactics and purchases.

Biiker Al's comment of "Just think what we could do with a decent manager" is just absurd, and shows that his criticisms of the team cannot be taken seriously.
[quote][p][bold]BenkiuGuasu[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BigAlBiker[/bold] wrote: Top of the shop what more can a yellow supporter want? Just think what we could do with a decent manager. Excellent result at the dons where we always win, Let's demolish Brizzle this coming Saturday.[/p][/quote]Yeah, just think what a could happen with a decent manager, who buys different players, has different team selection, different tactics.....logic dictates that we'd be promoted by now at least![/p][/quote]I hope the sarcasm cam through here. Wilder, has got us to the top with his team selection, tactics and purchases. Biiker Al's comment of "Just think what we could do with a decent manager" is just absurd, and shows that his criticisms of the team cannot be taken seriously. BenkiuGuasu
  • Score: 3

10:22am Mon 28 Oct 13

Richard Wickson says...

dorsetbob wrote:
Back to the point or points 6points between 1st and 13th, only 16 points between top and bottom, its a very mediocre basement league, so CW ,this is your chance, playing dire stuff at home you still top, thousands down on home attendances less than 5000 home supporters for third against fourth. Going into saturday we were fourth the top three couldnot produce a win between them , again MEDIOCRE league over to you CW its your season for the taking
Good point well made Bob. A lot on here think those that look at the facts are moaners and wingers when all we do is take the facts as they come. You are right it is a very mediocre League at the moment, all clubs are taking points off each other and if we got going at home we could be clear at the top. It is the fact that we look a different side at home and drop points where maybe we shouldn't bothers me. Yes there are a handful of moaners and booers at home that don't travel away but I am not one to boo our own players no matter how dire they may have been. It's also a fact that many season ticket holders aren't attending home games even though they are in the match day attendance figures and also a fact gates are down. It's also a fact OU are top of the table and long may it continue. It's a fact that we have taken more points away than we have at home and that fact bothers me because with a better home record we would be putting distance between ourselves and the chasing pack. It's a fact, maybe a debate able one, that teams find it easier to play us on our pitch as opposed to theirs, to my eyes we look sharper and better organised away from home. CW isn't my choice as manager BUT credit where it's due he has got us to the top of this mediocre league and long may he keep us there. This club probably will never ever be in the top flight and maybe not be a Championship club but should be a League higher, that has to be the aim.
[quote][p][bold]dorsetbob[/bold] wrote: Back to the point or points 6points between 1st and 13th, only 16 points between top and bottom, its a very mediocre basement league, so CW ,this is your chance, playing dire stuff at home you still top, thousands down on home attendances less than 5000 home supporters for third against fourth. Going into saturday we were fourth the top three couldnot produce a win between them , again MEDIOCRE league over to you CW its your season for the taking[/p][/quote]Good point well made Bob. A lot on here think those that look at the facts are moaners and wingers when all we do is take the facts as they come. You are right it is a very mediocre League at the moment, all clubs are taking points off each other and if we got going at home we could be clear at the top. It is the fact that we look a different side at home and drop points where maybe we shouldn't bothers me. Yes there are a handful of moaners and booers at home that don't travel away but I am not one to boo our own players no matter how dire they may have been. It's also a fact that many season ticket holders aren't attending home games even though they are in the match day attendance figures and also a fact gates are down. It's also a fact OU are top of the table and long may it continue. It's a fact that we have taken more points away than we have at home and that fact bothers me because with a better home record we would be putting distance between ourselves and the chasing pack. It's a fact, maybe a debate able one, that teams find it easier to play us on our pitch as opposed to theirs, to my eyes we look sharper and better organised away from home. CW isn't my choice as manager BUT credit where it's due he has got us to the top of this mediocre league and long may he keep us there. This club probably will never ever be in the top flight and maybe not be a Championship club but should be a League higher, that has to be the aim. Richard Wickson
  • Score: 0

1:42pm Mon 28 Oct 13

adlibber says...

Wow! the smugness of those after a (decent) away against a poor side seems to be rife on here. You'd think the last 3 years didn't exist! 3pts is welcome as is being joint top of a very mediocre league (look at the points difference between top 9 ?) Wait till the end of the season - Top 3 at Christmas is a start and automatic promotion is expected. Until then I'll keep the short memory folk updated of the failures of last 3 seasons then when we get promoted this year you can deservedly pour scorn on my well worn disillusionment. It just needs one team to grab this league by the throat and run off with it. I'm still not sure we'll be that team but as always happy to be proved wrong.
Wow! the smugness of those after a (decent) away against a poor side seems to be rife on here. You'd think the last 3 years didn't exist! 3pts is welcome as is being joint top of a very mediocre league (look at the points difference between top 9 ?) Wait till the end of the season - Top 3 at Christmas is a start and automatic promotion is expected. Until then I'll keep the short memory folk updated of the failures of last 3 seasons then when we get promoted this year you can deservedly pour scorn on my well worn disillusionment. It just needs one team to grab this league by the throat and run off with it. I'm still not sure we'll be that team but as always happy to be proved wrong. adlibber
  • Score: -3

7:24pm Mon 28 Oct 13

BigYellowScarf says...

adlibber wrote:
Wow! the smugness of those after a (decent) away against a poor side seems to be rife on here. You'd think the last 3 years didn't exist! 3pts is welcome as is being joint top of a very mediocre league (look at the points difference between top 9 ?) Wait till the end of the season - Top 3 at Christmas is a start and automatic promotion is expected. Until then I'll keep the short memory folk updated of the failures of last 3 seasons then when we get promoted this year you can deservedly pour scorn on my well worn disillusionment. It just needs one team to grab this league by the throat and run off with it. I'm still not sure we'll be that team but as always happy to be proved wrong.
"A very mediocre league (look at the points difference..." Sorry, adlibber, but anyone with the most basic grasp of logic will tell you there's no connection between a small points difference and mediocrity. Just think about it for more than a nanosecond.

"A decent away win against a poor side..." Every time we win a game you tell us it's because the opposition was poor (according to you the opposition was poor when we won at Hartlepool - that would be the same poor opposition, would it, that then won five on the trot?) Anyone with a basic grasp of sports psychology will tell you you're making a major mistake, and it's a good job you're nowhere near the football club.
[quote][p][bold]adlibber[/bold] wrote: Wow! the smugness of those after a (decent) away against a poor side seems to be rife on here. You'd think the last 3 years didn't exist! 3pts is welcome as is being joint top of a very mediocre league (look at the points difference between top 9 ?) Wait till the end of the season - Top 3 at Christmas is a start and automatic promotion is expected. Until then I'll keep the short memory folk updated of the failures of last 3 seasons then when we get promoted this year you can deservedly pour scorn on my well worn disillusionment. It just needs one team to grab this league by the throat and run off with it. I'm still not sure we'll be that team but as always happy to be proved wrong.[/p][/quote]"A very mediocre league (look at the points difference..." Sorry, adlibber, but anyone with the most basic grasp of logic will tell you there's no connection between a small points difference and mediocrity. Just think about it for more than a nanosecond. "A decent away win against a poor side..." Every time we win a game you tell us it's because the opposition was poor (according to you the opposition was poor when we won at Hartlepool - that would be the same poor opposition, would it, that then won five on the trot?) Anyone with a basic grasp of sports psychology will tell you you're making a major mistake, and it's a good job you're nowhere near the football club. BigYellowScarf
  • Score: 3

6:24am Tue 29 Oct 13

adlibber says...

Big Yellow Scarf - if I followed your logic I'd be as confused as you clearly are. No connection between points difference and mediocrity?? So for example 6 teams at the bottom of a league with no more than 3-4pts between them would to you suggest what? That they're all super teams with a sparkling generosity obligingly taking turns to lose games so they can keep such good company?

When we beat Hartlepool away what was their form like? You've used something you couldn't have seen (ie the future unless you're a clairvoyant) to defend your argument!

Not your best deduction Scarfie - Can you think for more than a nano second? Or do you wait to see what Wilder says first then just repeat with less cheesy cliches?

Every time we win a game I say the opposition is poor? Evidence of this Scarfie? or are just making it up in the hope that you appear perfectly logical?

Wait till the end of the season - if we go up automatically give me all the flack you want Scarfie I'll be happy to take it. Blind faith isn't logic Scarfie.
Big Yellow Scarf - if I followed your logic I'd be as confused as you clearly are. No connection between points difference and mediocrity?? So for example 6 teams at the bottom of a league with no more than 3-4pts between them would to you suggest what? That they're all super teams with a sparkling generosity obligingly taking turns to lose games so they can keep such good company? When we beat Hartlepool away what was their form like? You've used something you couldn't have seen (ie the future unless you're a clairvoyant) to defend your argument! Not your best deduction Scarfie - Can you think for more than a nano second? Or do you wait to see what Wilder says first then just repeat with less cheesy cliches? Every time we win a game I say the opposition is poor? Evidence of this Scarfie? or are just making it up in the hope that you appear perfectly logical? Wait till the end of the season - if we go up automatically give me all the flack you want Scarfie I'll be happy to take it. Blind faith isn't logic Scarfie. adlibber
  • Score: -3

9:12am Tue 29 Oct 13

BigYellowScarf says...

adlibber wrote:
Big Yellow Scarf - if I followed your logic I'd be as confused as you clearly are. No connection between points difference and mediocrity?? So for example 6 teams at the bottom of a league with no more than 3-4pts between them would to you suggest what? That they're all super teams with a sparkling generosity obligingly taking turns to lose games so they can keep such good company?

When we beat Hartlepool away what was their form like? You've used something you couldn't have seen (ie the future unless you're a clairvoyant) to defend your argument!

Not your best deduction Scarfie - Can you think for more than a nano second? Or do you wait to see what Wilder says first then just repeat with less cheesy cliches?

Every time we win a game I say the opposition is poor? Evidence of this Scarfie? or are just making it up in the hope that you appear perfectly logical?

Wait till the end of the season - if we go up automatically give me all the flack you want Scarfie I'll be happy to take it. Blind faith isn't logic Scarfie.
Dear oh dear you're getting worse. What in pity''s name has your point about "6 teams at the bottom of a league with 3 or 4 points between them" got to do with the argument? I could equally point out that there are only 4 points between the top 6 in the Premier League: that means they're mediocre, does it? Dear oh dear.

Your point about Hartlepool is equally inane. The poor team you insisted they were (poor form is not the same thing at all) would not have been able promptly to win five on the trot. And yes, you do keep saying the teams we beat are poor. As well as Hartlepool you said the same about Northampton "a very poor side", and now likewise Wimbledon. And whether they're poor or not, you're typically missing the real point about sports psychology. I hope you've never been involved with a team - no one would want you anywhere near.
[quote][p][bold]adlibber[/bold] wrote: Big Yellow Scarf - if I followed your logic I'd be as confused as you clearly are. No connection between points difference and mediocrity?? So for example 6 teams at the bottom of a league with no more than 3-4pts between them would to you suggest what? That they're all super teams with a sparkling generosity obligingly taking turns to lose games so they can keep such good company? When we beat Hartlepool away what was their form like? You've used something you couldn't have seen (ie the future unless you're a clairvoyant) to defend your argument! Not your best deduction Scarfie - Can you think for more than a nano second? Or do you wait to see what Wilder says first then just repeat with less cheesy cliches? Every time we win a game I say the opposition is poor? Evidence of this Scarfie? or are just making it up in the hope that you appear perfectly logical? Wait till the end of the season - if we go up automatically give me all the flack you want Scarfie I'll be happy to take it. Blind faith isn't logic Scarfie.[/p][/quote]Dear oh dear you're getting worse. What in pity''s name has your point about "6 teams at the bottom of a league with 3 or 4 points between them" got to do with the argument? I could equally point out that there are only 4 points between the top 6 in the Premier League: that means they're mediocre, does it? Dear oh dear. Your point about Hartlepool is equally inane. The poor team you insisted they were (poor form is not the same thing at all) would not have been able promptly to win five on the trot. And yes, you do keep saying the teams we beat are poor. As well as Hartlepool you said the same about Northampton "a very poor side", and now likewise Wimbledon. And whether they're poor or not, you're typically missing the real point about sports psychology. I hope you've never been involved with a team - no one would want you anywhere near. BigYellowScarf
  • Score: 3

12:43pm Tue 29 Oct 13

adlibber says...

Sports psychology? And you say I'm getting worse! Your problem is you've been wilder's little helper for sometime now so any view you have is formed by the defence of the manager despite the last 3 years of failure which of course you conveniently ignore. Wait till end of the season Scarfie I'll be the first to concede - though I expect you might be a bit quiet if we don't go up.
Sports psychology? And you say I'm getting worse! Your problem is you've been wilder's little helper for sometime now so any view you have is formed by the defence of the manager despite the last 3 years of failure which of course you conveniently ignore. Wait till end of the season Scarfie I'll be the first to concede - though I expect you might be a bit quiet if we don't go up. adlibber
  • Score: -3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree