When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Emergency services say relay crowd caused no problems
7:00pm Thursday 12th July 2012 in Olympic Torch Route
THE Olympic torch relay through Oxfordshire went without a hitch, authorities said last night.
More than 100,000 people are estimated to have lined the streets to watch the torch on its journey through the county on Monday and Tuesday.
Officials were unable to put an exact number to the number of people who came out.
But police said despite the large crowds, they only arrested one person.
A 27-year-old man was arrested for being drunk and disorderly at 6.20pm on Monday in Cowley Road as crowds waited for the torch to arrive.
He was given a fixed penalty notice of £80.
Police spokesman Lucy Billen said there had been no other arrests.
Leader of Oxford City Council Bob Price said: “I am delighted that the people of Oxford have got so much pleasure from the thrilling, once-in-a-lifetime experience of seeing the Olympic torch carried through the streets of the city.
“The enthusiastic welcome for the torch bearers was wonderful.”
He added: “It has been a memorable moment in the history of the city, and we can all be proud that our community has put together such a remarkable celebration of the Olympic spirit of peace and harmony across the world.
“I'd like to thank everyone who has taken part, and the many people who have been working behind the scenes to make this event happen.”
Assistant Chief Constable John Campbell, who was overseeing the torch relay policing operation, said: “People seem to have really enjoyed this once-in-a-lifetime experience.”
Comments are closed on this article.